As the new year approaches, people often get reflective and introspective, pondering the things they…
This is something that is getting a lot of buzz (pun intended!): the declining bee population. These busy bugs help pollinate plants and without them we’d be in big trouble. To help the bees and attract them to your garden, there are a few simple things you can do, including planting bee- friendly plants (see some suggestions below), and create a bee bath- somewhere they can grab a drink and rest. This is fun little project to make with the kids and is a great chance to teach them about bees.
Here’s how you can make a bee bath for your garden:
What you’ll need:
- ceramic pot and small dish/ saucer
- some small rocks
- Rinse off your rocks and place them in the dish
- Fill the dish with water so that the rocks are about half submerged, making sure to leave room for the bees to rest
- Turn the pot upside down and place the dish with the water and rocks on top
- Pick a place in your garden near flowers and plants that attract bees or if you have a pest problem, place it next to the plant with pests (the water will attract insects that will eat pests like aphids)
- Rinse and refill every few days to keep the water fresh and free from mildew and dirt
Want to bring more bees into your garden? Here’s a list of some plants you can add to your garden that are bee- friendly:
Hope you enjoy this fun addition to your garden!